Also Good Travel Credit Card
American Express Platinum Travel
- Joining Fee
- Annual Fee
- Joining Bonus
- 5,000 Reward Points
What we like
- Generous joining and additional bonuses on crossing spend thresholds
- Points convertible to miles across range of international airlines
- American Express Customer service continues to be its key differentiator
What we don't
- Domestic travel not as rewarding, with the viability of Jet Privilege miles uncertain
- Redemption process for domestic travel is complicated and has many conditions
- Lounge access across 700 airports worldwide but limited to 1 visit per quarter
In a tweet
If you have a taste for the finer experiences when travelling, value responsive customer service, and don't mind the steep annual charge, this card makes sense. Redeeming rewards is not a breeze though.
More about this card
Flawless customer service
If you've ever had to call customer service to resolve an issue, be it dispute a transaction, or ask about a charge you did not recognise, you already know how American Express service seems to just get it right.
Wide array of redemption options
The American Express rewards site goes a good job of combining the various types of rewards from travel, discount vouchers and catalogue options.
The process of redeeming your points to book flights has way too much friction than a card of this pedigree should have.
Step 1. log onto the rewards site to buy travel vouchers
Step 2. Either buy a spicejet voucher or a yatra / cleartrip voucher. This is a
For instance, with the spicejet vouchers, there are some annoying mechanics and conditions:
- can take up to 3 working days for the voucher to be sent by email (really?!)
- no refund in case of cancellations
- if the voucher is used partially, the excess amount will be forfeited
All this to redeem points you have earned.
Step 3. Now go to the amexindiatravel.com website, find your flight, and apply the code
If that seems like too much work, AMEX offers Insta Rewards as vouchers for online merchants.